Sunday, March 28, 2010

At the four month mark

Yeah, I know. I've been less than diligent about keeping up with this. A little thing called life got in the way: my husband's job in another state is necessitating a move. So I've been working on assembling the details. It's not easy to do when one's still at less than 100%! Hopefully, it will get done with a minimum of horror.

As for me: Several victories. The doc saw me two weeks ago, and said I don't have to come back until December. I'm walking without limping (except when I stand up after sitting for a while). I've given up the raised toilet seat (which REALLY made my husband happy!). I can put on my own socks, normally! Tying or strapping shoes, though, is still a bit of a trial. However, I do find I can bend somewhat, even though I'm not supposed to, so as long as I'm careful, I can generally get the shoes done.

Being able to take walks is an absolute and utter delight. I took a long walk along Lake Michigan, did some photography, and went shopping at a local outlet mall with a friend a few weeks ago. We power-shopped for four hours before my hip started to complain. The last hour was awful - walking back to the car, I had to sit three or four times - but I was delighted to feel like a normal person again!

Moving, though, as well as applying for jobs in my soon to be new home city, means that I have not had the chance to work out or take walks. I spent a lot of time either sitting and making lists, or standing and filing. I'm starting to lose some physical conditioning, which I hate. I force myself to do at least a minimum of the exercises, and that seems to help.

Once I get to my new city, I'm planning to start Bikram Yoga. Yes, some of the poses will be more than I can do, but the woman who answered the phone at the local studio assured me that they could adjust the practice to suit my level of fitness and my movement restrictions.

In the meantime - gotta get back to filing.

I'll check in some time next month.

For those readers who are either recent patients or soon to be patients, please feel free to write! I do check in and am happy to answer any and all questions. Also, it's fun to know I have readers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment