Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Hip

And here we are, on New Year's Day. Recovery continues at a nice clip. Today's Friday. This past Monday, I decided to go caneless in the house. So, to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance, I marched to the umbrella stand and popped the cane in, much to my husband's amusement.

A week earlier, I also got approval to sleep with a pillow between my legs, instead of the splint. So, Big Blue (the splint was a big blue foam rhombus) went down to the recycling room. Bye!

So far, I'm limping, but doing pretty well getting around the house, and doing basics. I can stand without pan and do my whole maquillage, and cook dinner. I've also mastered getting dressed. Getting a sock on my right foot, however, is still a challenge. Right now it takes a wok spatula, a pair of kitchen tongs, and a rug to get a sock on the foot, if the husband isn't around to help. I'd go sockless except for Chicago winters - temps are in the single digits these days, and if I want to go outside, I'd better be wearing socks if I don't want popsicle toes.

I got signed off of at home physical therapy last week. So far I've been procrastinating about starting offsite PT. I want to go to a facility that has a pool, whereas the husband wants me to go to one that's within walking distance. Since if it were him, he'd insist on the more chichi facility, I'm going to go to that one. It will cost the same, and the facility will refund cab fare, so it's no real biggie, financially.

I am still doing my morning exercises - I think they'll be a feature of my life for a long time. It's a good way to wake up, and my legs definitely feel better after doing the moves, isometrics and lifts.

Onward and upward!


No comments:

Post a Comment