Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Across The Great Divide

Well, the deed's been done. I have a new hip.

I was in mondo discomfort for a good part of the week after the dental surgery, so didn't really get to post about the last bits of prep for surgery. Mostly, it consisted of getting off certain meds and supplements, and remembering to start other meds and supplements. I lost my appetite, so the weight loss, as of the morning of surgery, was 27 lbs since Passover.

Anyway, two days before the surgery I had to go off Diclofenac, the big-ass anti-inflammatory that made my anti-pain cocktail work. Without it? OWWW. I had two days of utter agony. I was ready, big time, to have Mr. Right Hip GONE. I managed to order the toilet seat for hip replacement patients (which is quite comfy, considering), and even started a project for a client. Not smart, but gotta keep the work flowing.

So, the surgery: I wound up deciding on a spinal block with a sedative. I was out like a light! Don't even remember the spinal puncture. Next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room, with people coming by and grabbing my feet and asking me to wiggle my toes. I had no feeling at all from the hips down, but they did say the toes were a-wigglin'. Sensation moved down the legs, though, so by that night, my feets were smiling.

The first night, like any first post-surgery night in a hospital, was ridiculous. I think I got awakened every 40 minutes for something: take pills, vital signs, breathing treatment, blood draws ... I don't even remember all the reasons! It got funny after a while. By the morning, I was ready to cover my face with my cpap mask and sleep. But all I had in my stomach was pills, and the nurses knew I needed to eat. So they got me to order food.

The hospital actually makes you order your meals! They don't come automatically. Yeesh. More things to think about. I wound up ordering meat loaf, veggies, lemonade, and orange Jell-O. Not too bad - definitely hospital food, but bland was really all I could deal with. And the restriction on dark leafy greens meant no broccoli. Phoo.

Then the physical therapist came, to help me out of bed and get me walking. Clearly, crutches were not going to do it, so the PT got a walker. I walked to the door, and then to the comfy chair, and I sat for an hour while I ate. Amazed a lot of people that I could stand and walk after less than 24 hours, but that's what it is these days. The hip clicked one, and then felt totally unmoored - completely flipped me out - but turned out all that was normal. Whew.

Next night, my breathing mask broke. The respiratory lady very kindly managed to find me one that will hold me until I got a new mask. In the morning, I called the company, and they arranged to send me a new mask and a new reservoir. Amazing what you can do with cell phones these days!

Two hours later, a new PT came - more the drill sergeant sort. She was not going to put up with any crying or begging from me. I was going to GET UP and WALK and SIT and EAT. Not even water until I was sitting up by myself. Sitting up was agony, but I made it. Much more stomach muscle work now. And I gotta be much more aware of where my limbs are. I even did a walk all the way down the hall and back. Not bad for a gimp!

The occupational therapist didn't show up till late on Friday, by which time it was too late to be discharged. Fortunately, she had some good advice for me, and she also said that I'm quite strong, which will make recovery quicker.

Friday night, I had the world's worst nurse's aide. Can you imagine a nurse's aide grossed out by bedpan work? That's what I wound up with. And she even had the nerve to carp that I was big, implying that it made it problematic to care for me. The nurse on the shift almost had a kitten when she heard, and I wound up being interviewed by the shift supervisor, who had the same reaction. There is some justice in the world for big girls.

Then came Saturday. Checking out. They got me a wheelchair, and I had to tell the guy how to load my legs. He found a cab, and it came to the right side of the street so that I could get in ... but there were no handholds in the back seat! So I had to somehow scoot myself all the way over, and make sure I could hang on tight for the ride home. I told the driver I'd just had my hip replaced, so don't drive fast, and don't take bumps, or I will feel them, and howl, and he won't be happy. Fortunately, he followed my dicta, so the ride back was basically uneventful.

Getting out the cab, though, was going to be my first test. I pulled myself to the door, braced my left foot, grabbed the walker, ducked my head, and ... STOOD UP!!! No falling against the door! No weebling until I had some sort of balance. Oh man ... what a relief!

Now I just have to work on getting all my strength, energy and mobility back.

More later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment